10. How will the school support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or onto the next stage of education and life?

Starting at Wolverham in Foundation Stage:

We would always encourage children and families/carers to visit any school before applying for a place and even more so if your child has additional needs. We recognise that moving to a new school can be difficult for any child and we will take all steps possible to ensure that any transition is smooth.

If your child has been allocated a place in our Reception class via the local authority, and they have a special educational need and/ or disability, please contact us as soon as you receive the offer. If your child has a EHCP, then we will have offered a place prior to your child being offered it by Cheshire West and Chester.

Before your child starts, an Action for Inclusion meeting will be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before their first day. Your child’s teacher may make a home visit and also visit your child if they are attending another provision; this will automatically happen if your child is starting in the Nursery or Reception class.

We may suggest adaptations to the settling in period to help your child to settle more easily but these will be agreed with you at the Action for Inclusion meeting. If they have not already visited, your child will be invited into school in advance of starting to meet the staff they will be working with and their peer group. The class teacher will arrange an early meeting with you to review your child’s learning, following the settling in period.

The staff will then hold regular meetings in school to monitor the progress of your child and invite you into school at least once a term to review this with you.

Entering or leaving Wolverham during Reception – Year 6

If your child joins from another school:
- We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ask for detailed information about any
special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are received as soon as possible
and a meeting will be arranged between parents/carers and the SENCO as soon as

If your child is moving to another school:
- We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure s/he knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in all cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher with the SENDCO present. Parents may be also invited to this meeting as appropriate.
- If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them. This has happened for children with additional needs frequently and is a highly successful way of preparing children for the next stage.

Leaving Wolverham in Year 6
- Prior to the decision of which high school attend, the SENCO will meet with parents/carers and members from Cheshire West and Chester SEN team to discuss the best choice of high school based on your child’s needs.
- The SENCO will liaise carefully with the high school your child is transferring to and usually arrange a meeting to discuss needs and strategies that are used.
- Your child may do additional work with the learning mentor to prepare them for high school. Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in many cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Admission Arrangements for pupils with disabilities:

The arrangements for the admission of pupils with disabilities who do not have an education and healthcare plan/statement are the same as those applied to pupils without disabilities. Parents of children who have an education and healthcare plan will be asked to select a school based on their own preference and we are then approached by the local SEN team to identify whether we feel we can meet your child’s needs. As detailed, you will usually be asked to come into school to discuss your child along with seeing the environment and area.

The parents/carers of any pupil refused admission can appeal to the Admissions Appeal panel. Where discrimination has been alleged to have occurred, parents/carers have a right of redress through the Special Educational Needs and disability Tribunal System (SENDIST) << Click Here for more information.

Back to SEND Provision